Belize will officially begin reopening its borders for tourism on October 1st, 2020, Prime Minister, Dean Barrow announced.
The reopening was originally planned for August 15th, 2020 but was delayed after a surge in COVID-19 cases.
- Travelers must book flights and hotel
- Hotel will inform traveler that the Belize Health app must be downloaded
- Complete all required information on health app
- Travelers are encouraged to take a COVID PCR test within 72 hours of travel for fast track at airport
- Passengers who do not bring a negative test will be tested at the airport at the travelers own cost
- Passengers who test positive will face a 14 day quarantine
- Passengers who are negative will be allowed instant access to Belize as long as they are not showing symptoms of Covid-19
Which Countries Can Enter Belize?
Belize will accept travelers from all countries as long as they follow the procedures. YES the USA too.
Regular immigration rules will apply to all foreigners.
What is Belize Doing to Protect Travelers?
According to Karen Bevan, the Director of Tourism for Belize the following protocols have been issued:
- All luggage will be sanitized after being removed from the plane, and then placed on the carousel
- Passengers will then be able to pick up their bags and place it on new luggage scanners that are being procured to minimize contact between the passenger and customs officers
- Visitors will travel by approved vans to their destination hotels where they are more or less supposed to stay
- The first hotels reopening will be those that have achieved the Tourism Gold Standard Certificate of Recognition and provide full service to guests
“This means that these hotels are able to provide all amenities, so as to contain the guest on the property, and minimize opportunities for guest interaction within the local community. These amenities include having transportation to offer pick-up/drop-off services from the airport; having access to a Restaurant on property, have a Pool or access to beach front and to be able to provide isolated tours, limited to guests of the property only,” explained Bevan.
Are beaches open in Belize?
Beaches are open in Belize but guests are encouraged to stay at their hotels and not interact with locals.
What is open in Belize?
Hotel with full services will open first as guest are encouraged to stay at their resorts to limit interaction with the community.
Everything within resorts including restaurants, pools and beaches will be open.
Important traveler information
To ensure there’s limited interaction with the community and general population, there’s a Belize travel tracking app that will monitor the movement and activities of tourists:
Disclaimer: Belize's reopening news is ever-changing and being updated constantly. We do our best to keep this article up to date with all the latest information, but the decision to travel is ultimately your responsibility. Contact your consulate and/or local authorities to confirm your nationality’s entry and/or any changes to travel requirements before traveling.