Last Updated 4 weeks ago
Traveling in a Covid-19 world brings uncertainty and anxiousness of the unknown. Travel won't be the same for a long time but there's one thing you can do to protect your health before departing.
Get a Covid-19 travel insurance policy that doesn't have exclusions regarding travel advisories.
We'll go over the easiest, fastest and most affordable ways to get Covid-19 travel insurance for Americans below.
Please Note: This article is meant as a general information guide only. Travel Insurance is constantly changing in the current environment and it is up to each traveler to ensure they are properly covered for their individual situations. We do our best to keep this article updated but insurance policies can change without notice. The decision to travel is your choice and you are responsible for your personal safety and insurance abroad. We do not endorse or recommend traveling against government travel advisories.
Covid-19 Travel Insurance For Americans Traveling Abroad
The Most Important Thing You Need To Know About Covid-19 Travel Insurance
Most Covid-19 travel insurance for Americans have fine print which states that they won't cover any cost related to the Coronavirus if there is a travel advisory issued.
Even though the United States dropped its level 4 global advisory, most popular destinations for Americans still remain at a level 4 including Mexico, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and the Bahamas.
With the pandemic still surging in many countries, travel advisories are constantly being added and removed based on the number of Covid-19 cases. You don't want to become a victim of not being covered just because of a new travel advisory you were unaware of.
What Coverage Should You look for in Covid-19 Travel Insurance for Americans?
This is general advice and can change depending on your own travel/medical situation.
- Exclusions – Make sure you policy still covers Covid-19 claims even if there's a travel warning issued for the country you are traveling to.
- Trip Cancellation – Make sure the policy will cover you, your traveling companion or a non-traveling family member if they contract COVID-19 or get quarantined
- Contract COVID-19 While Traveling – Emergency medical expenses, trip interruption coverage and medical evacuation due to Covid-19 related illness should be covered
- Travel delay coverage – Insurance should cover you if you suffer financial losses due to long flight delays, border closures or travels ban that have been announced during your trip, government or a physician-mandated quarantine imposed.
- Reimbursements may include doctors’ visits and hospital stays, and certain pre-paid travel arrangements that get disrupted as a result of the infection or the delay of your common carrier.
What does Covid-19 Travel Insurance NOT Usually Cover For U.S. Travelers
- Fear of travel is never a covered reason for any type of coverage. Canceling your trip because you’re worried about how the COVID-19 outbreak may impact your travels is usually never covered.
- Events surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak for which you aren’t directly affected by the sickness. Examples: a conference you were planning to attend was canceled; you need to cancel your trip because flights out of your destination were shut down; you changed your mind about having your honeymoon in Mexico because of the lockdown.
Is Covid-19 coverage an add-on package or is it included with your travel insurance for U.S travelers?
Travel Insurance that covers Covid-19 should be included with your regular travel insurance quote. Do not use travel insurance providers that have covid-19 as an ‘add on' package. The largest travel insurance companies include it their quotes.
My Travel Insurance Provider told me they Cover Covid-19. Is that good enough?
No. Almost all Travel Insurance companies say they cover Covid-19 related illness but there is an exclusion that voids all coverage if a level 4 travel advisory is issued which is still the case for many countries around the world.
Ask your provider specifically about U.S travel advisory/warning exclusions or other factors that can void your coverage.
How Much Should Covid-19 Travel Insurance Cost For Americans?
Each traveler depending on their, age, locations and amount of medical coverage will determine your Covid-19 travel insurance quote.
To make it easy we have found three Travel Insurance providers for Americans that cover Covid-19 related claims.
All three providers cover your regular travel insurance plus Covid-19 coverage with no exclusion if a level 4 travel advisory is issued, such as the case in popular destinations such as Mexico.
Below you can get three quotes and decide which coverage is best for you.