Traveling in 2022 brings uncertainty and anxiousness of the unknown, especially with delays, cancellations, and other hurdles due to the recent Omicron surge. Travel won’t be the same for a long time but there’s one thing you can do to protect your health before departing.
Get a Covid-19 travel insurance policy that doesn’t have exclusions regarding travel advisories.
We’ll go over the easiest, fastest, and most affordable ways to get Covid-19 travel insurance for American travelers below.
Please Note: This article is meant as a general information guide only. Travel Insurance is constantly changing in the current environment and it is up to each traveler to ensure they are properly covered for their individual situations. We do our best to keep this article updated but insurance policies can change without notice.
Covid-19 Travel Insurance For Americans Traveling Abroad
The Most Important Thing You Need To Know About Covid-19 Travel Insurance
Some Covid-19 travel insurance for Americans have fine print which states that they won’t cover any cost related to the Coronavirus if there is a travel advisory issued.
Even though the United States dropped its general level 4 global advisory to a level 3, some specific popular destinations for Americans still remain at a level 4.
With the pandemic still surging in many countries, travel advisories are constantly being added and removed based on the number of Covid-19 cases. You don’t want to become a victim of not being covered just because of a new travel advisory you were unaware of.
What Coverage Should You look for in Covid-19 Travel Insurance for Americans?
This is general advice and can change depending on your own travel/medical situation.
- Exclusions – Make sure your policy still covers Covid-19 claims even if there’s a travel warning issued for the country you are traveling to.
- Trip Cancellation – Make sure the policy will cover you, your traveling companion, or a non-traveling family member if they contract COVID-19 or get quarantined
- Contract COVID-19 While Traveling – Emergency medical expenses, trip interruption coverage and medical evacuation due to Covid-19 related illness should be covered
- Travel delay coverage – Insurance should cover you if you suffer financial losses due to long flight delays, border closures or travels ban that have been announced during your trip, government or a physician-mandated quarantine imposed.
- Reimbursements may include doctors’ visits and hospital stays, and certain pre-paid travel arrangements that get disrupted as a result of the infection or the delay of your common carrier.
What does Covid-19 Travel Insurance NOT Usually Cover For U.S. Travelers:
- Fear of travel is not a common covered reason. Canceling your trip because you’re worried about how the COVID-19 outbreak may impact your travels is usually not automatically covered.
- Events surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak for which you aren’t directly affected by the sickness. Examples: a conference you were planning to attend was canceled, or you changed your mind about having your honeymoon in Mexico because current case levels.
Is Covid-19 coverage an add-on package or is it included with your travel insurance for U.S travelers?
Travel Insurance that covers Covid-19 should be included with your regular travel insurance quote. Do not use travel insurance providers that have covid-19 as an ‘add on’ package. The largest travel insurance companies include this coverage automaticlly.
My Travel Insurance Provider told me they Cover Covid-19. Is that good enough?
No. Almost all Travel Insurance companies say they cover Covid-19 related illnesses but there is an exclusion that voids all coverage if a level 4 travel advisory is issued which is still the case for many countries around the world.
Ask your provider specifically about U.S. government travel advisory/warning exclusions or other factors that can void your coverage.
Also ensure they cover things like accommodation costs if you are required to quarantine aborad due to infection, trip cancellation due to infection, and many other aspects of your trip that you want to be covered.
How Much Should Covid-19 Travel Insurance Cost For Americans?
Each traveler depending on their, age, locations and amount of medical coverage will determine your Covid-19 travel insurance quote.
To make it easy we have found three Travel Insurance providers for Americans that cover Covid-19 related claims.
All three providers cover your regular travel insurance plus Covid-19 coverage with no exclusion if a level 4 travel advisory is issued, such as the case in popular destinations such as Mexico.
Below you can get three quotes and decide which coverage is best for you.
SafetyWing is our top budget choice for American travelers. It’s the most affordable, they can cover up to 2 children under 10 for free, and you can keep extending it while you’re abroad.
As of August 1, 2020 SafteyWing is also including Covid-19 coverage automatically as a part of their policies.
HeyMondo has become a fan favorite among our readers. They have very flexible and customizable options for those who need travel insurance with Covid-19 coverage.
Types of HeyMondo Coverage:
You can get up to $10,000,000 medical coverage, $7,000 trip interruption/cancellation coverage, $2,500 for baggage and lots more.
They have 3 different tiers of plans; ‘Single Trip’ and ‘Entire Year Multiple Trip’ that cover medical assistance and expenses even in the event of infection by Covid-19. They also offer a ‘Cancellation Only’ policy.
Once you have selected your type of coverage you will be able to customize your travel insurance. HeyMondo lets you easily customize coverage to help you save money or give you extra coverage where you need it. (example: covering shiny new electronics like laptops).
As of June 4, 2021, HeyMondo Premium also covers some bonus things that are very relevant in a covid-era travel world, like: medical care (including covid care) on-board a cruise ship, and hotel quarantine accommodation insurance (Extra lodging expenses due to medical quarantine are covered when testing positive and prescribed by a doctor, which countries like Costa Rica require you to have for entry). Even expensive PCR tests when they are medically prescribed.
Another thing we like about HeyMondo’s coverage is the handy app it comes with that allows you to chat with a doctor 24/7 when you have coverage. Small perks like that give travelers piece of mind.
HeyMondo even covers the cancellation of your trip if you test positive before your vacation.
✓ Good for senior Americans who need coverage over 69
InsureMyTrip is great for travelers from all countries, especially seniors over 69 who can’t find coverage with other companies.
InsureMyTrip has all the normal travel insurance coverages you would expect, plus:
- Cancellation due to diagnosed illness before traveling
- Emergency medical care if you become ill from covid-19 while traveling
- Accommodation coverage if quarantined at your destination
- An optional ‘Cancel For Any Reason’ add on, which is very handy in times of Omicron
World Nomads is the most expensive option on the list, but does offer some extensive coverage, especially for those who are adventure seekers and sports enthusiasts.
For Breaking Travel Reopening News & Questions, Join Our: Facebook Community
Originally published August 5, 2020 with updates