Skip to Content

Gay Couple Savagely Beaten after Refusing to Kiss on London Bus

Share The Article

Last Updated

Two women were injured in a homophobic attack that left them covered in blood after refusing to kiss. 

Melania Geymonat, 28, said the attack on her and her partner Chris happened on the top deck of a night bus that was traveling from London to Camden Town. 

Four male teenagers between the ages of 15 and 18 have been arrested in the case on suspicion of robbery and causing grievous bodily harm.

Geymonat said the males began harassing then when they discovered they were a lesbian couple.  The men were asking them to kiss and making rude gestures at the women. 

Geymonat told BBC Radio that the men surrounded them, started talking aggressively about sexual positions, being lesbians and asking them if they could kiss. The men wanted to watch them and then started throwing coins at the two women.  

"To ease the situation I tried to make some jokes, like Chris wasn't understanding because she didn't speak English. She even acted as if she was sick... but they started throwing coins. The next thing I know Chris is in the middle of the bus and they are punching her.

Once the abuse on her partner started, Geymonat explained “I immediately went there by impulse and tried to pull her out of there and they started punching me. I was really bleeding.”

"Inquires are continuing into the disgusting assault. Lots of people will understandably be outraged by this attack. Our efforts to trace all the suspects involved and bring them in for questioning will be relentless."

Geymonat told CNN that she told her story on Facebook to raise awareness and found out by sharing her story that many of her friends had been harassed because of their sexuality.
“I found out many gay friends have been beaten up because they were gay and many women friends are feeling harassed because they are sitting in a bar with a friend and harassed by men,” she said.

The mayor of London Sadiq Khan made a strong statement on Twitter asking for any witnesses to come forward. 

Geymonat added that during the attack the four men may have broken her nose, stole a handbag and phone before running away. 

The bus operator Metroline told reporters that there is video footage of the attack and is cooperating with authorities. 

The two women were taken to the hospital and treated for facial injuries before being released. 

Have a travel related news story you want covered? Contact us