The Canadian government has issued an official travel advisory for the United States. The alert was issued on Saturday July 6th after a strong earthquake rocked Searles Valley.
The Canadian Government said in the advisory under the ‘Natural Disasters and Climate’ tab that “On July 5, 2019, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck Searles Valley in California.”
It also stated “If you are in or around the affected areas: monitor local media, follow the instructions of local authorities.”
The advisory warned Canadians planning to travel to the US to be aware of the possibility of further earthquakes in multiple states.
Shocking video emerged on Twitter following the Earthquake.
can’t believe i got this on video, earthquakes are not jokes! #abc7eyewitness #MSNBC #CNN #ridgecrest #anotherearthquake #California #californiaearthquake— Rylan 🌊 (@rylxan) July 6, 2019
everyone has permission to use this. pic.twitter.com/P7eVhZlekz
My BF’s mom’s pool in #Ridgecrest #abc7eyewitness pic.twitter.com/bQgYf12hPd— jessica (@dearjessikahhhh) July 6, 2019
The largest recorded earthquake in the U.S was a magnitude 9.2 that struck Prince William Sound, Alaska on Good Friday, March 28, 1964.
The current risk level for the United States is “Take Normal Security Precautions” and was not elevated due to the earthquake advisory.
Additional advisories for the U.S. on the Government of Canada website include
- Do not leave bags or valuables unattended in your car
- Ensure your belongings, including your passport are secure at all times.
- Make sure to carry a copy of your passport and lock the original at your hotel
- Avoid economically disadvantaged neighbourhoods from dusk till dawn
- Make sure you lock windows and doors securely at night and when leaving rental properties
- There are high occurrences of credit and bank card fraud during the holidays. Only use well lit ATM’s in secure banks.
- Avoid demonstrations
- Always be aware of your surroundings when in public places such as large crowds as terrorism has occurred.
- Avoid crossing he U.S./Mexico border by car due to high levels of violent crime linked to organized crime.
- Ensure you have travel insurance as medical costs in the United States are very high.
FOR MORE BREAKING TRAVEL NEWS FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK BELOW