The government of Canada has finally released the list of hotels that travelers will be required to stay in for 3 days upon their return to Canada. However, like most of the recent travel announcements made by officials, the information still remains incomplete and much confusion in the actual booking process has returning Canadians frustrated.
Below we have the full hotel list, information on pricing, and how to book the hotel.
Starting in February, international flights have only been authorized to land in 4 Canadian cities: Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver.
As of Monday, February 22, 2021, the mandatory 3-day stay inside an airport hotel located in one of these 4 cities will start for any traveler entering the country.
The hotel list, released today February 19th on the travel.gc.ca website, comes with a disclaimer saying “The list of hotels is incomplete and will be finalized in the coming days.” Indicating that more hotels will soon join the official list as they meet the government’s strict criteria checks.
Canada’s Hotel Quarantine List
- Alt Hotel Pearson Airport
- Four Points by Sheraton and Element Toronto Airport
- Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
- Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport
- Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Toronto Airport
- Comfort Inn Toronto Airport
- DoubleTree by Hilton Toronto Airport
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Toronto Airport
- Hampton Inn and Suites Toronto
- Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport
- Fairmont Vancouver Airport
- Radisson Vancouver Airport
- Days Inn by Wyndham
- Four Points by Sheraton Vancouver Airport
- Coast Vancouver Airport Hotel
- Executive Hotel Vancouver Airport
- Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport
- Travelodge Hotel by Wyndham Vancouver Airport
- Acclaim Hotel
- Marriot Calgary Airport
- Aloft Montreal Airport
- Crowne Plaza Montreal Airport
- Holiday Inn Express and Suites Montreal Airport
- Montreal Airport Marriott In-Terminal
- Baymont by Wyndham
- Comfort Inn Dorval
- Comfort Inn Pointe-Claire
- DoubleTree by Hilton Montreal Airport
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Montreal Airport
- Hampton Inn and Suites by Hilton
We will update the list of approved hotels frequently as more are expected to be added
How To Book Your Quarantine Hotel
Call 1-800-294-8253 (within North America) or collect call 1-613-830-2992 if outside North America.
Regular hours of operation for calls: 8 am to 11 pm ET, 7 days a week
Returning travelers are asked not to contact the hotels directly, but instead, all bookings should be made through a toll-free number managed by GB Travel Canada Inc.
Travel Off Path tried calling the number but was unable to get through to a live agent after hours on hold.
A user on Facebook commented “The worst booking system ever. The booking must be done only through 1 phone number not via hotel’s website. It’s 1 number for 4 major cities not one per city. I’m on the call from 11 AM until now 2:00 PM and not [a] single person has answered my phone. It’s a shame for Canada.”
Pricing: How Much Does The 3-Day Mandatory Stay Actually Cost?
When PM Trudeau originally announced the 3-day hotel quarantine program, he suggested the price would exceed more than $2000 per person, but luckily that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Initial reports from travelers actually getting through to the call center are reporting slightly lower numbers, mostly between $1200-$1700 depending on the hotel and occupancy numbers.
Costs for single occupancy at many of the hotels have been quoted anywhere from $320 to $550 as a per night cost.
Will we update this page when more information about exact costs become available.
The government of Canada warns on their site that the average cost per night will be higher than posted rates for ‘normal’ guests, as they have to account for: food, security, transportation and infection prevention and control measures.
Transportation to the Quarantine Hotel
Most arrivals will take the hotel’s shuttle vehicle directly to the hotel, as airport security will be mostly promoting this method. However, they are still allowing arriving travelers to take a limo or taxi, or even their own vehicle as long as it’s parked at the airport and the traveler does not stop for gas or any other supplies.
Rules at the Quarantine Hotel
Once travellers have checked in to the quarantine hotel, here are some rules they are required to follow:
- Wear a mask anytime the room door must be opened to receive food or speak with an hotel official
- Remain in the room with the door closed unless being escorted by an official
- No visitors allowed
- No use of the hotel’s gym, pool, restaurants, or any other common area or amenity
- Meals are delivered by the hotel 3 times per day
- Housekeeping is not available during the stay, but extra towels or other amenities can be requested in a contactless way
- Asymptomatic travellers can go outside daily for a limited and supervised amount of time, while wearing a mask, and staying 2-metres away from others
- Self-monitor and submit daily updates on the ArriveCan app
What if my final destination isn’t Calgary, Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver?
You will still have to complete the hotel quarantine in one of these 2 cities, regardless if that is your final destination or not. However, after testing negative, you may be able to travel directly to your final destination. (That is of course if your quarantine plan is approved by the Canadian government.)
For example: Let’s say a traveler is returning from Mexico to their home in Regina, SK. The travel would have to arrive in Calgary and spend their 3-day hotel quarantine on one of the hotels on Calgary’s authorized list.
If the traveler then receives a negative result from their test and completes their 3-day stay with no symptoms, they should be able to take the most direct way possible to their final destination. That could be a direct flight from Calgary to Regina airport, driving in a personal vehicle, etc.
Official travel advice for those who need to get to their final destination after hotel quarantine include: staying away from others, using drive-thru and pay-at-pump services, wearing a mask at all times and not making any stops to places like grocery stores.
What is the FULL Entry Requirement Process For Canada Now?
- All travelers must provide proof of a negative PCR test no older than 72 hours of the departing flight into Canada.
- Travelers must call 1-800-294-8253 to book their 3-day stay at an authorized quarantine hotel at their own expense before departing.
- Travelers can only arrive at the Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver airports.
- The ArriveCan app must be downloaded and all required information filled out.
- All travelers will be given a PCR test upon arrival at the airport.
- All travelers will go directly to their pre-booked quarantine hotel from the airport, with no stops.
- Travelers will be released on day 3 if their test is negative. If the test is positive, they will be transferred to a government quarantine facility.
- Travelers who are negative can proceed directly home to quarantine for the remaining duration of the 14 day quarantine.
- Travelers will be required to take another PCR test towards the end of the quarantine.
↓ Join the community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox
Disclaimer: Current travel rules and restrictions can change without notice. The decision to travel is ultimately your responsibility. Contact your consulate and/or local authorities to confirm your nationality’s entry and/or any changes to travel requirements before traveling. Travel Off Path does not endorse traveling against government advisories
Article originally written Feb 19, 2021 with updates