A father is speaking out after his son was rushed to hospital after becoming unresponsive on a vacation said he has been taken advantage of. A popular resort’s medical clinic in Dominican Republic took his child to a hospital over 35 minutes away instead of one that was much closer.
Burley said staff brought over a golf cart and they were taken about a kilometre to the nearby resort.
The doctor told the family he was concerned about brain damage and that he needed to go to the hospital urgently. Burley said an ambulance arrived but they wouldn’t transport the boy until they had his passport and a credit card.
Burley said he ran about a kilometre back to his hotel and grabbed his passport from the hotel room safe. When he finally returned, he said he was told the hospital was about five minutes away.
Burley said after 35 minutes, they finally arrived at the hospital (Hospiten Bávaro) only to find out they would not accept his travel insurance.
Burley said while he talked on the phone with his insurance company, hospital workers began treating his son and said he likely had tonsillitis.
Doctors then told him they needed to complete an MRI and that Hunter would need to stay the night.
Burley said he then told the doctors they would be leaving the hospital and needed his son’s medical records.
Burley said after stopping to fill the prescription for Hunter they eventually made it back 22 kilometres to the resort.
“In the morning, we went to speak with the hotel general manager,” Burley said. “I wanted to know why we weren’t we taken to the closest hospital.”
In a statement to CTV News Toronto on Wednesday, Bahia Principe said they are now “reviewing the protocols and the information surrounding medical care at their resorts.”
Doctors in Canada told the family that Hunter actually had a bacterial infection which caused an abnormally high fever and then a seizure. He said he’s being treated with antibiotics and is now feeling much better.
Bahia Principe Resorts also made international headlines earlier in the year when Dominican authorities asked the FBI for assistance investigating the deaths of three Americans. Over a five-day period in late May, Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, and couple, Nathaniel Edward Holmes and Cynthia Ann Day all died at the Bahia Principe resort in La Romana, according to the embassy.
It was later found that they all had died of natural causes.
Follow us on Facebook below for all the latest Travel news and tips!