Getting good value for your money is one of the main goals of every traveler. After all, you only get a limited amount of time every year to travel and enjoy yourself. Hence, it makes sense to choose locations that will give you the most bang for your buck. A recent study by the travel intelligence platform, Mabrian, has revealed some of the best European destinations for getting the best value for your money. The results may surprise you.
Some of the factors taken into account when looking at all of the different European cities included:
- Hotel Prices
- Number of direct flights to the area
- Number of flight seats to the area
- Visitor satisfaction
- Tourism products on offer
With that in mind, here are the top 5 European destinations that give the best bang for your buck, with some average prices included using budgetyourtrip.com.
1) Zagreb, Croatia
Average Hotel Price: kn578 ($80)
Average Cost of Meals Per Day: kn100 ($14)
According to the study, Zagreb was the best value for your money. Although it ranked last for air connectivity, it ranked near the top for levels of satisfaction in the other categories studied. Accommodation pricing, in particular, was very reasonable compared to other destinations.
Reasons Travelers Love Zagreb
- Beautiful architecture is around every corner, museums are plentiful, and there are plenty of outdoor activities.
- It’s a real city. While cities like London and Paris are certainly worth a visit, you can tell that they cater to tourists. Zagreb isn’t as touristy as some of the more well-known European cities, and that’s part of its charm.
- Coffee culture. Terraces brimming with people drinking coffee at all hours of the day are not an uncommon sight in Zagreb. The culture values free time, and it shows, and travelers enjoy the laid-back feel of the area.
2) Athens, Greece
Average Hotel Price: €101 ($103).
Average Cost of Meals Per Day: €30 ($31)
Athens was ranked second on the list after Zagreb. The city has better air connectivity than Zagreb but had a higher average cost and satisfaction levels that were lower than Zagreb.
Reasons Travelers Love Athens
- Rich history. Athens was the capital of one of the most influential societies ever, with so much history to take in.
- It’s beautiful. Historical landmarks and buildings make for some photo-worthy moments throughout the city.
- The sea. There are many beautiful beaches and also nearby islands that make for a great day away from the city.
3) Ljubljana, Slovenia
Average Hotel Price: €86 ($87)
Average Cost of Meals Per Day: €13 ($13)
Low hotel costs and high satisfaction levels earned Ljubljana third place. Air connectivity was the main thing that this destination lacked.
Reasons Travelers Love Ljubljana
- Café Culture. Meeting for coffee is a go-to excursion in Slovenia, and Ljubljana has a multitude of cafés to choose from.
- Ljubljana Castle is a popular site for tourists. The ramparts offer incredible city views, and the castle even has its own nightclub.
4) Rome, Italy
Average Hotel Price: €134 ($136)
Average Cost of Meals Per Day: €37 ($38)
Reasons Travelers Love Rome
- Another city brimming with history, Rome is a must-visit for first-time travelers to Italy. The Colosseum is one of the most visited sites in the city. However, be wary of pickpockets operating in the area.
- Vatican city is also a popular tourist attraction, welcoming over 6 million visitors annually.
5) Vienna, Austria
Average Hotel Price: €135 ($137)
Average Cost of Meals Per Day: €27 ($28)
Reasons Travelers Love Vienna
- Vienna offers something for everyone, and it is very unlikely you will get bored in this beautiful city. Excellent food, incredible architecture, and a lively music scene all make this city a wonderful place to visit.
- Schönbrunn Palace is the most popular tourist attraction in the city, receiving about 8 million visitors per year.
As travelers continue to deal with increasing flight costs, record inflation, and increased travel demand, getting the most value for the money is more important than ever. Visitors who choose to travel to one of the destinations above are sure to enjoy their time while also making a sound financial decision.
This article originally appeared on Travel Off Path. For the latest breaking news that will affect your next trip, please visit: Traveloffpath.com
↓ Join the community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox
Disclaimer: Current travel rules and restrictions can change without notice. The decision to travel is ultimately your responsibility. Contact your consulate and/or local authorities to confirm your nationality’s entry and/or any changes to travel requirements before traveling. Travel Off Path does not endorse traveling against government advisories