Skip to Content

These 7 U.S. Airports Are Expected To Have The Most Delays This Summer

Share The Article

Last Updated


Are you traveling by plane this summer? These are the U.S. airports expected to have the most delays in the upcoming months.

Summer is always a busy time for travel, and this year is no exception. The Federal Aviation Administration has already warned travelers to expect delays, especially in cities like New York, due to staffing shortages this summer.

Woman at airport looking at flight departures board

According to AAA, 3.4 million travelers flew over Memorial Day Weekend, an increase of 5.4% from 2019, proving that travel is fully back and bigger than ever.

The travel booking platform Hopper just released a prediction on which U.S. airports will have the most delays this summer, based on actual data from last June through August.

Here are the top airports to be aware of that are likely to experience the most flight delays and cancellations this summer:

Two friends traveling together. Travelers waiting at the airport departure area for their delay flight.

1. Chicago, Illinois (MDW)

Chicago Midway International Airport is expected to be one of the worst airports for summer travel delays this year.

During the summer of 2022, a whopping 42% of flights departing from this airport were delayed, and 2% were canceled, for a total of 44% disrupted flights.

Top 5 Travel Insurance Plans For 2023 Starting At $10 Per Week

Easily Earn Points For Free Travel

MDW Airport

2. Baltimore, Maryland (BWI)

Another airport to look out for this summer is Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. If you're flying out of this airport, be prepared for delays.

Last summer, 36% of flights were delayed and 3% were canceled, and this summer could be a similar story when it comes to disrupted flights.

BWI Airport

3. Newark, New Jersey (EWR)

Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey had the highest flight cancellation rate of all the airports on this list last summer.

A staggering 7% of all flights were canceled, while a further 29% were delayed, for a total of 36% disrupted flights.

Newark Airport

4. Dallas, Texas (DAL)

Another airport that may experience elevated flight delays this summer is Dallas Love Field Airport.

During the summer of 2022, a third of all flights were delayed from this airport, and 2% were canceled, for a total of 35% disrupted flights.

Dallas Love Field

5. New York, New York (JFK)

If you're flying out of New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport this summer, you should be aware that the potential for delays is high, especially considering the ongoing shortage of air traffic controllers that is impacting this airport heavily.

Last summer, 31% of flights were delayed and 3% were canceled at JFK.

JFK Airport

6. Orlando, Florida (MCO)

Orlando is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the United States, and unfortunately, its airport is also one of the worst for delays.

Based on data from last summer, Orlando International Airport experienced 31% of flights being delayed and 2% being canceled, for a total impact of 33% disrupted flights.

Passengers Transiting Orlando International Airport, Orlando, Florida, United States

7. Las Vegas, Nevada (LAS)

Finally, one of the worst airports to watch out for this summer is Harry Reid International Airport in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Just under a third of all flights last summer were disrupted at this airport, with 30% being delayed and 2% being canceled.

LAS VEGAS, NV - NOV 13: Scene at McCarran International Airport on November 13, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada.  The airport has since been renamed Harry Reid International Airport.

How To Avoid Flight Delays This Summer

While there is no fireproof way to avoid flight delays, there are certain steps you can take to minimize the likelihood of one occurring.

One of the best things to do is book an early-morning flight.

Based on data from the U.S. Department of Transportation, 86% of flights departing between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. are on time, while only 66% of flights departing between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. are on time.

Check out this guide for more tips on avoiding flight delays and cancellations this summer.

↓ Elevate Your Travel↓

Sign Up Now For Travel Off Path Premium! No ads, VIP Content, Personal Travel Concierge, Huge Savings, Daily Deals, Members Forum & More!

✈️Join Our Travel Off Path Community Forum: Where travelers unite, ask questions, share experiences and even find like-minded travel buddies!


SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS

Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path's latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox.

This article originally appeared on TravelOffPath.com

Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.