Traveling is a great way to make friends all over the world. A simple hello to the right person could blossom into a lifelong friendship that spans continents. Having friends all over the world is one of the greatest treasures enjoyed by avid travelers and makes it easier to make traveling a lifestyle. For travelers interested in making friends while away, it’s helpful to know which destinations are known for being the friendliest. A recent study by InterNations has revealed the top 10 most friendly destinations for 2022, according to expats who live in the countries.
According to those surveyed, Mexico is home to the friendliest people in the world. Nine out of ten respondents say that the local population is friendly in general, and 89% say they are especially friendly to foreign residents.
- 75% of those surveyed said that it is easy to make friends.
- 80% said they have been able to develop a network of support in the country.
Indonesia ranked as the second friendliest destination in the world. Nine out of ten respondents said that the local population is friendly in general and also friendly to foreign residents in particular.
- 46% thought the local residents couldn’t be any friendlier.
- 66% said they have been able to develop a network of support in the country.
Oman is the third friendliest destination in the world, with two out of three respondents reporting that it is easy to make friends. Nearly 3 out of 4 said that getting used to the local culture was easy, and 4 out of 5 said they felt welcome in Oman.
- 63% said they have been able to develop a network of support in the country.
- 34% furthered their statement by saying it was very easy to make friends.
4) The Philippines
The Philippines is the fourth friendliest destination, and it did the best in the “finding friends” category, with 71% of respondents saying it is easy to make local friends. Four out of five respondents felt welcome in the Philippines, and 78% said they felt at home.
- 68% of respondents were happy with their social lives in the Philippines
- 83% say the locals are generally friendly, and 85% say they are particularly friendly to foreigners.
Brazil is rated as the fifth friendliest destination, though no additional data is cited in the 2022 report for Brazil. The country moved up from a 10th place ranking in 2021 and a 15th place ranking in 2019. In 2019, 56% of respondents agreed that it was easy to make new friends and 77% said that locals are friendly towards foreigners. However, looking at 2022’s data for the Philippines and Vietnam, we can make an assumption about this year’s data. It’s likely approximately 83% of respondents now feel that locals are friendly toward foreigners.
Vietnam ranks 6th on the list of most friendly destinations, and 83% of respondents feel welcome. Seven out of ten feel at home in Vietnam, and a US expat said that “the warmth, honesty, and friendliness of the people” was one of the most enjoyable things about the country.
- 83% of respondents found the locals to be especially friendly to foreigners.
- 54% said that it is easy to make friends with locals.
Taiwan ranks as the 7th friendliest destination for 2022, with 78% saying they feel welcome. In fact, 53% of respondents went on to say that they felt completely welcome in Taiwan.
- 50% of respondents said that making friends is very easy.
- 67% said they have been able to develop a network of support in the country.
Thailand came in as the 8th friendliest destination for 2022, and 81% of respondents say that the local population is friendly towards foreigners.
- 52% reported that making friends with locals is easy.
- 69% say they love the social life they have created in Thailand.
Portugal ranked as the ninth friendliest destination for 2022, with 77% of respondents saying they feel at home in the country. 41% went on the say they felt completely at home in Portugal, and four out of five say that the locals are especially friendly to foreigners.
- 51% reported that it was easy to make friends with locals
- 67% are happy with the social life they experience in Portugal
Bahrain is the 10th on the list for 2022’s friendliest destinations, and 70% feel welcome in the country.
- 57% said that it is easy to make friends with locals.
- 77% reported that the local population is friendly towards foreigners.
↓ Join the community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox
Disclaimer: Current travel rules and restrictions can change without notice. The decision to travel is ultimately your responsibility. Contact your consulate and/or local authorities to confirm your nationality’s entry and/or any changes to travel requirements before traveling. Travel Off Path does not endorse traveling against government advisories