Puerto Rico is one of the hottest destinations in the Caribbean right now for American travelers.
This island, which is a territory of the United States located in the Caribbean, welcomed 5.1 million visitors in 2022, a new record surpassing even pre-2020 travel numbers.
Puerto Rico is trending with travelers due to its gorgeous beaches, beautiful historic capital San Juan, and proximity to the continental United States.
Starting this summer, it will be even easier and more affordable for travelers to get from the United States to Puerto Rico with the launch of nearly a dozen new flight routes.
New Flight Routes To Puerto Rico Launching This Summer
Two budget airlines, Spirit Airlines and Frontier Airlines, have both announced that they are launching new routes to Puerto Rico beginning this summer.
While both airlines already fly to Puerto Rico, these new routes will expand their coverage.
Spirit Airlines has announced the following new routes launching in May and June of this year:
- Atlanta to San Juan (daily service launching May 5)
- Hartford to San Juan (3x weekly service launching June 7)
- Dallas to San Juan (daily service launching May 5)
- Detroit to San Juan (daily service launching May 5)
- Chicago to San Juan (daily service launching May 5)
Additionally, Spirit will be expanding its coverage to San Juan from Baltimore, Newark, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando throughout the spring and summer.
Frontier Airlines also announced new routes to Puerto Rico that will begin later this year:
- Cleveland to San Juan (4x weekly service launching May 4)
- Detroit to San Juan (4x weekly service launching May 5)
- Baltimore to San Juan (daily service launching May 4)
- Chicago to San Juan (6x weekly service launching May 4)
- Dallas to San Juan (daily service launching May 4)
Frontier is also introducing a direct flight from Cancun, Mexico to Puerto Rico on May 25.
How Much Do Flights Cost?
Both Spirit Airlines and Frontier Airlines are budget carriers known for their ultra-low base fares (that can get pricier if you add on extras like checked or carry-on luggage or choosing your seat assignment.)
But if you travel light and don’t mind sitting in a cramped middle seat for a few hours, flying Spirit or Frontier can be a budget-friendly way to get to Puerto Rico.
According to Spirit, these are the introductory prices for their new routes:
- Atlanta to San Juan: Starting at $59 one-way
- Hartford to San Juan: starting at $59 one-way
- Dallas to San Juan: Starting at $59 one-way
- Detroit to San Juan: starting at $79 one-way
- Chicago to San Juan: Starting at $69 one-way
Frontier offers similarly-priced fares, with the following introductory prices:
- Cleveland to San Juan: Starting at $69 one-way
- Detroit to San Juan: starting at $69 one-way
- Baltimore to San Juan: Starting at $59 one-way
- Chicago to San Juan: starting at $69 one-way
- Dallas to San Juan: Starting at $69 one-way
To take advantage of these low fares, you’ll want to book ASAP for travel through May and June of this year (some blackout dates and restrictions may apply.)
Other Cheap Flights To Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico is a great choice for a budget-friendly Caribbean vacation because of the abundance of affordable flights from the continental United States and the cheaper prices for food, resorts, and activities that you can find on the island.
These 7 U.S. cities have round-trip flights to Puerto Rico for under $200:
- Miami, FL
- Philadelphia, PA
- Nashville, TN
- El Paso, TX
- New York, NY
- Baltimore, MD
- Atlanta, GA
You can find cheap flights to Puerto Rico on budget carriers like Spirit and Frontier from these destinations, along with many other cities in the United States.
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox.
This article originally appeared on TravelOffPath.com