Canada is one of the last countries in the western hemisphere with its borders still closed for most travelers.
Even with some of strictest measures in the world, Canada has now relaxed some of its tight border measures and is now allowing certain types of travelers to enter the country.
Here are all the latest COVID-19 entry requirements for Canada and everything travelers need to know before planning a trip.
Types Of Travelers Permitted To Enter Canada
The following categories of travelers are permitted to enter Canada:
- Canadian citizens
- Canadian residents
- Extended family members traveling to Canada on compassionate grounds
- Partners who have been dating a Canadian for at least 1 year and their dependent children, adult children, grandchildren, siblings and grandparents
- Non-relative foreign nationals under compassionate reasons in specific circumstances, such as a close friend experiencing a life-threatening illness, critical injury or death, with the potential for limited release from quarantine to visit the injured or dying loved one.
- International students who are attending a learning institution that has a COVID-19 readiness plan in place that's been cleared by provincial or territorial health authorities
COVID-19 Testing Entry Requirements
Starting January 7, 2021, ALL passengers, both citizens, and foreigners, arriving into Canada will need to bring proof of a negative PCR or LAMP test, taken no more than 72 hours before arrival.
Approved travelers arriving in Canada via the Calgary International Airport or Coutts land border are eligible for reduced quarantine through a pilot testing program now in effect.
Quarantine Entry Requirements
All travelers must self quarantine for 14 days when arriving in Canada. In recent weeks the Canadian government has increased follow up by authorities on individuals in sel-isolation. The ArriveCan app must be used to check in once travelers have reached their self-quarantine destination.
COVID-19 Health Requirements While in Canada
All visitors must follow COVID-19 health requirements while in Canada:
- Some provinces have made face covering mandatory in public.
- Follow social distancing markers.
- Follow all instructions on ArriveCan app.
COVID-19 Vaccine Entry Requirements
A vaccine for COVID-19 is not yet available to the public. Canada has not announced if a proof of vaccine record (POVR) for entry will be required in the future.
Visa Entry Requirements For Canada During COVID-19
All travelers arriving in Canada will need to follow regular visa requirements.
Travelers that require a visa must apply at the Canadian embassy/consulate in their home country.
Canada Covid-19 Entry Requirements:
- Check if you are an approved traveler to visit Canada.
- Check if you need a visa or ETA to visit Canada
- Perform a PCR or LAMP test 72 hour prior to arrival
- Download ArriveCAN app and follow all instructions
- Follow 14 day quarantine and health protocols
Subscribe to our Latest Posts
Disclaimer: Current travel rules and restrictions can change without notice. The decision to travel is ultimately your responsibility. Contact your consulate and/or local authorities to confirm your nationality’s entry and/or any changes to travel requirements before traveling. Travel Off Path does not endorse traveling against government advisories