When most people think of the best cities in the world, they likely picture some of the most well-known cities like Paris, London, New York, or LA. However, after a massive survey of over 20,000 city residents around the globe, the best cities in the world, according to Timeout, may surprise you. Not just because they aren’t the most well-known or the first to come to mind, but because several are known, but not for reasons that would point to them being the best. So, what are the best cities in the world according to Timeout?
1) Edinburgh, Scotland
According to the 2022 Time Out Index, the best city in the world is Edinburgh, Scotland. With all this beautiful European city has to offer, it isn’t surprising that it secured the top spot. Some of the city’s attractive qualities include:
- Incredible views and history dash the streets of this highly walkable city.
- Independent shops are everywhere, offering unique merchandise you won’t find anywhere else in the world.
- Edinburgh offers a progressive feel and welcomes everyone, with 88% of residents reporting that expressing who you are in Edinburgh is effortless.
2) Chicago, Illinois
A surprising second-place city due to a high-crime stigma, Chicago is often mistaken for the murder capital of the United States. In reality, Chicago was 10th on the list of cities with the most murders in 2022, with 24 per 100,000 people. In general, Chicago is a very safe city to visit, with high crime rates mostly restricted to specific neighborhoods. Below are some of the things that draw people to Chicago:
- The Food! Chicago-style deep-dish pizza is an absolute must when visiting this city, and Chicago-style hot dogs line the streets from vendors throughout the city.
- Iconic art and culture. Art galleries are all over the city, and shows are constantly taking place.
- Thriving nightlife. Whether you’re into happy hours, dinners, bars, or nightclubs, Chicago offers something for everyone looking for entertainment after the sun goes down.
3) Medellín, Colombia
Another surprise on this year’s list, Medellín used to be known as the most dangerous city in the world. When many people think of the city, they picture Pablo Escobar and crime. However, much has changed in the past 30 years, and Medellín is now generally considered safe. Here are some of the top reasons people visit:
- The weather is almost perfect, with year-round averages of 72°F (22°C).
- Medellín offers exceptional value for your money, with some hostels costing less than $10 per night.
- Like Chicago, the nightlife is flourishing. Whether looking for a relaxed drink or a bass-fueled dance party, there is evening entertainment to suit every traveler.
4) Glasgow, Scotland
Glasgow is the second-largest city in Scotland and was voted the friendliest in the Time Out Index for 2022. The people are kind, and the city is brimming with things to do. People love Glasgow for many reasons, including:
- There are so many free things to do. Museums like the Gallery of Modern Art, beautiful parks like Pollok Country Park, and the magnificent Glasgow Botanical Gardens are just a small sampling of attractions visitors can enjoy at no cost.
- The music scene is top-notch. There are many walking tours that explore this UNESCO city of music, and live music is enjoyed all year long.
5) Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Respondents to the Time Out Index voted Amsterdam the easiest place on earth to ‘express who you are’ and awarded it second place for progressiveness. Unsurprisingly, it is the best city in the world for bicyclists and is also extremely walkable. Here are some of the reasons people love this famous European city:
- The nightlife is unlikely to disappoint. With countless nightclubs throughout the city and a closing time of 4 a.m. on the weekends, Amsterdam offers partygoers endless opportunities to dance to their heart’s content.
- Coffeeshop culture. Amsterdam and Marijuana are two words that go hand in hand in many people’s minds. The city has over 160 coffeeshops to enjoy. Recently, the city proposed banning tourists from its coffeeshops, but for now, visitors are still allowed.
The five cities above each offer visitors unique experiences they won’t find elsewhere. Each has a unique blend of culture, commerce, and charm that has earned them the top 5 spots for the best cities in the world, according to Timeout. Below are the top 20 cities on Timeout’s list of 53 best countries.
Top 20 Best Cities of the World List
- Cape Town
- New York
For a complete list of all 53 of the best cities in the world according to Timeout, see their website.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox.
This article originally appeared on TravelOffPath.com
Thursday 14th of July 2022
The nightlife in Amsterdam? It sucks when you're not a local. Also 4 a.m. is rare and even if it's true you'd better go to other cities in the country, where you can party until 8 the next morning ;-).
Wednesday 13th of July 2022
Cape Town? Hard to believe. And Istanbul isn’t even on the list.
Thursday 4th of August 2022
@Christian, I agree with you. While I think Medellin in an amazing place and deserves the spot, leaving Istanbul out made me lose credibility.
Thursday 14th of July 2022
@Christian, what's wrong with Cape Town?