Belize is now open for international tourists after shutting down its borders due to the COVID-19 pandemic back in March.
Here are all the latest COVID-19 entry requirements and everything travelers need to know before booking their trip to Belize.
Countries Permitted To Visit Belize
Travelers from all countries are permitted to visit Belize under regular visa requirements.
Travel Authorization To Visit Belize
All travelers must download the Belize health app and fill out all required information, within 72 hours of the flight into Belize.
Important Note: The requirement to fill out the app has been dropped as of May 11, 2021.
Belize COVID-19 Testing Entry Requirements
General travelers to Belize have three options:
- Take a PCR test in your home country within 96 hours of travel. This will put you in the fast track lane at the airport.
2. Take a Rapid Antigen test within 48 hours of travel into Belize.
3. If Passengers cannot bring a negative PCR or antigen test, one will be performed at the airport at the travelers own cost ($50 USD) and passengers must isolate at hotel until results are ready.
Entry Requirements for Vaccinated Travelers
Starting Feb 2021, Belize started making exceptions for fully vaccinated travelers to skip testing. However, due to Delta concerns as of mid-2021, this exemption has been removed.
Starting August 8, Belize will no longer allow fully vaccinated passengers to skip testing. They must once again comply with all testing requirements as seen above.
Quarantine Entry Requirements
There are no mandatory quarantine for travelers arriving in Belize if they present a negative COVID-19 test.
If a traveler tests positive upon arrival or refuses to take a test they will be quarantined for a minimum of 14 days.
‘Gold Standard’ Accommodation Requirements
At the current stage of reopening, travellers to Belize must only book ‘Gold Standard’ accommodation.
There are currently 288 hotels, villas, and B&B’s with accreditation. See the full list here
COVID-19 Travel Insurance Entry Requirements
While travel insurance is not mandatory for entry, all travelers should have travel insurance that covers COVID-19 for the duration of their trip to Belize
COVID-19 Health Requirements While in Belize
All visitors must follow COVID-19 health requirements while in Belize:
- Mandatory use of face masks in public spaces
- Enforcement of social distancing measures in public spaces such as restaurants, bars, grocery stores, retail stores, etc
COVID-19 Vaccine Entry Requirements
Belize is not requiring visitors to be vaccinated.
However, Belize is offering exemptions for fully vaccinated tourists to enter without testing. Before boarding the flight, the passenger will need to show proof of their vaccination record to the airline, being at least 2-weeks old.
**This has been removed as of August 8, 2021
Visa Entry Requirements For Belize During COVID-19
All travelers arriving in Belize will need to follow regular visa requirements.
The below countries do not need a visa to enter Belize.
Source: Wiki – Aquintero82
Travelers that require a visa must apply at a Belize embassy/consulate/agency in their home country before travel.
Belize Covid-19 Entry Requirements:
- Download the Belize Health App (not needed after May 11, 2021)
- Check if you need a visa to enter Belize
- Book ‘Gold Standard’ hotel accommodations
- Get proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test no older than 72 hours before departure OR get testing at the airport but expect delays.
- Follow all mask and social distancing requirements
Sources: Belize Tourism Board
↓ Join the community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
Originally published Nov 6th, 2020
Disclaimer: Current travel rules and restrictions can change without notice. The decision to travel is ultimately your responsibility. Contact your consulate and/or local authorities to confirm your nationality’s entry and/or any changes to travel requirements before traveling. Travel Off Path does not endorse traveling against government advisories