Adult-only getaways are getting extremely popular among Americans who wish for nothing but peace and utter relaxation when going abroad.
Though they boast incredible amenities and are famous for their world-class service, family-friendly resorts can feel a tad too crowded at times, and the screaming and laughter of young children can be a nuisance to some, especially if they're not parents themselves.
Luckily, all three of America's favorite beach getaways boast a high concentration of adults-only properties, allowing guests to take that much-needed time for themselves, away from the jam-packed resorts open to the general public.
The leading tourist destination in the Dominican Republic, Punta Cana is a trendy resort town famous for its glamorous hotels, white-sand beaches bounded by the bright-blue Caribbean Sea, and warm Latin American culture.
As it is the number one resort zone anywhere in the Caribbean islands, it has a large number of adults-only properties, where solo visitors and couples alike on a child-free holiday can relax and pamper themselves without having to worry too much about privacy.
These adult-only vacations are also not as expensive as you might think, with overnight rates averaging US$91 based on data from 9 of the most popular adults-only hotels in Punta Cana, with 4-star hotels starting from US$173, and all-inclusive, five-star listings from US$254.
Some of the best adults-only hotels in the area include:
- Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, only 10.9km from Downtown Punta Cana, offering an outdoor pool, room service, a casino, and bars
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach, a landmark adults-only all-inclusive famous for its lagoon-style, palm-lined pool, and incredible resort services
- Punta Cana Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, the best option for those looking for privacy, as it is located further away from the bustling city center, and the atmosphere is more tranquil
- Royalton CHIC Punta Cana, the most exclusive on this list, 30.1km driving from Downtown, straddling a particularly peaceful sandy stretch
The most sought-after beach destination on Mexico's Pacific Coast, Los Cabos is the combination of two small tourist towns, San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, home to a fast-growing development zone and world-renowned for their hospitality.
Recently, they were collectively named the wellness capital of Latin America due to their several resort spas and relaxation centers – the most out of any destination in the subgroup – and recognized for outstanding services in tourism.
Needless to say, Los Cabos is one of the top destinations in Mexico for an adults-only break, with as many as 24 such properties listed on the popular booking website Expedia, with prices starting from only US$190.
While great deals can still be found, if you're heading to Los Cabos, make sure you budget properly, as the starting price may be relatively low, but the median hotel rate is US$600, and some adults-only resorts, such as the ultra-luxurious Marquis, will cost you as high as US$652 per night.
Yes, it can be very expensive, but nowhere in Latin America will you find the same state-of-the-art amenities: it's no wonder the Pacific gem lays claim to the top-rated all-inclusive resort in the world in the form of Grand Velas Los Cabos.
The best adults-only offers in the Mexican Capes are:
- Le Blanc Spa Resort, with 24-hour room service, access to a private beach, and stunning beachfront, infinity pool
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, best known for their spa treatments and fine dining; the perfect pick for child-free honeymoon couples
- Marquis Los Cabos Resort & Spa, a secluded five-star oasis commanding breathtaking ocean views
- Paradisus Los Cabos, a boutique listing with just 300 rooms, in high demand among wellness seekers for its exclusivity
The number one entry, Cancun is the absolute leader in adults-only holiday bookings, with 5 out of every 100 hotels in the city belonging in this category, and its adjacent Mayan Riviera belonging to the category, and more than 50 options to pick from.
The reason why Cancun is easily the top pick is that it has both hotels that are exclusively for adults, and other ones that are open to families, but that have reserved adults-only sections, such as entertainment venues, some pools, and lounges.
This means all categories of travelers are expected to find something of their liking when booking a Cancun vacation, whether they want complete reclusion, or they're social beings who do not necessarily oppose mingling with others and sharing public facilities.
Additionally, Cancun is the best homebase for exploring the wider Mayan Riviera, as it is the best-connected resort zone in the region, offering easy transportation links to smaller beach towns like Playa Del Carmen and Puerto Morelos, as well as historical landmarks like Chichen Itza.
From December, tourists in Cancun will also be able to travel from the city to numerous tourist hotspots around the Yucatan Peninsula with the Maya Train, a major infrastructure project that is set to revolutionize Mexico's travel industry.
As selected by Forbes, some of the best all-inclusive resorts in Cancun and surrounding resort strips are:
- Sensira Resort And Spa, a five-star boutique hotel with limited availability and thus a high level of privacy
- Hyatt Ziva Cancun, an ultra-luxurious all-inclusive resort with a plethora of entertainment options for child-free guests and families alike
- Garza Blanca Resort And Spa, a sophisticated luxurious enclave straddling the beachfront, renowned for its fantastic services
- Grand Palladium Costa Mujeres Resort And Spa, located in a quieter beach area away from the bustling Hotel Zone, and a top pick for crowd-wary visitors
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest travel news, conversations, and Q&A's happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path's latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox.
This article originally appeared on TravelOffPath.com
Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.