While most countries are in their strictest lockdowns of the pandemic, Mexico has done the complete opposite by welcoming all tourists with open arms. Now, some resorts are taking things one step further by providing free extended hotel stays for up to 14 days in the event that a traveler tests positive.
With the United States, Canada and most countries requiring proof of a negative Covid-19 test to return home, many travelers have been left nervous they could get trapped footing the bill of a 14 day quarantine. Some major resort chains are now giving travelers peace of mind that they can quarantine in luxury for free.
Here are the resorts currently offering free stays in the event a traveler tests positive.
Types of Tests Required
A quick reminder of the tests required:
Canada – PCR-type test, performed no longer than 72 hours before departing on the flight back to Canada. Antigen not accepted.
UK – PCR-type test, performed no longer than 72 hours before departing on the flight back to the UK. Antigen not accepted.
USA – PCR-type test – OR – Rapid antigen-type test, performed no longer than 72 hours before departing on the flight back to the U.S.
Resorts Providing Free 14 Day Quarantine
The following resorts are providing guests extended free stays of up to 14 days in the event they test positive for Covid-19.
All Palace Resort Properties have free Covid-19 antigen testing on site for American guests. In the event that a guest tests positive, they may extend their stay free of charge for 14 nights. If still positive after 14 days guest will be charged $199 per night for up to 3 guests per room.
All quarantine rooms are in a separate area of the resort away from other guests.
- Beach Palace
- Cozumel Palace
- Isla Mujeres Palace
- Playacar Palace
- Sun Palace
- The Grand At Moon Palace Cancun
- Moon Palace Cancun
- Le Blanc Spa Resort Cancun
- Le Blanc Spa Resort Los Cabos
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
American guests will receive complimentary Covid-19 antigen testing. PCR tests are available for guests that require them and cost $140.
In the event that any guests staying at Hotel Xcaret México test positive, they will be offered free accommodation for 14 nights. The policy is in effect until March 31, 2021 and is valid for stays that are a minimum of four nights.
All AMResorts will be offering free Covid-19 antigen testing to travelers from the United States, UK, Germany and Poland.
PCR tests for other international travelers who require them range from $129 to $250 depending on the city where the resort is located.
In the event that a guest tests positive they will be offered up to 14 nights of free accommodation through their CleanComplete+ Quarantine Program. Extended stays due to quarantine includes the guest plus one travel companion sharing the same room. This program remains valid as long as CDC and government travel regulations are in place.
AMResorts Include the following hotels and resorts:
- Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Cancun
- Zoëtry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
- Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
- Secrets The Vine Cancun
- Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
- Dreams Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
- Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
- Dreams Vista Cancun Golf & Spa Resort
- Now Emerald Cancun
- Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
- Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
- Dreams Natura Resort & Spa
- Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
- Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
- Now Jade Riviera Cancun
- Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
- Sunscape Akumal Resort & Spa
- Secrets Aura Cozumel
- Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
- Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
- Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
- Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
- Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
- Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
- Dreams Nuevo Vallarta
- Sunscape Puerto Vallarta
- Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
- Secrets Huatulco
- Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
- Dreams Acapulco Resort & Spa
Subscribe to our Latest Posts
Disclaimer: Current travel rules and restrictions can change without notice. The decision to travel is ultimately your responsibility. Contact your consulate and/or local authorities to confirm your nationality’s entry and/or any changes to travel requirements before traveling. Travel Off Path does not endorse traveling against government advisories