Start planning your sunny winter getaway, Canada! WestJet will be relaunching even more flight routes that were previously suspended over two years ago.
The Canadian low-cost airline announced earlier this week that 17 of its sun routes will return just in time for the winter travel season 2022/2023. We’ve got all the details below.
Restoring These Routes Is ‘Another Positive Step’ In WestJet’s Flight Network
John Weatherill, WestJet’s Executive Vice-President and CCO, offered his sentiments following this week’s announcement:
“The restart of these routes is another positive step in the restoration our network as we solidify WestJet as the reliable, friendly and affordable airline we are known to be,” Weatherill said.
“We recognize the past three winters have been disruptive to our guests travel plans and we look forward to reconnecting Canadians to some of the warmer destinations they have missed the most,” he added.
New Routes Include Popular U.S. Destinations
Among the 17 relaunched routes, 8 of them are between Canadian cities and popular (sunny) destinations just south of the border, including Las Vegas and Phoenix.
For Canadian travelers, the relaunched routes will mean a 60% increase in transborder flights available with the airline compared to 2021.
Here’s the list of added flight routes to the U.S.:
- Kelowna-Phoenix: 1x weekly, starting November 16, 2022.
- Saskatoon-Las Vegas: 2 times per week, starting November 10, 2022.
- Saskatoon-Orlando: 1x weekly, starting December 16, 2022.
- Regina-Las Vegas: 2 times per week, starting November 10, 2022.
- Regina-Orlando: 1x weekly, starting December 16, 2022.
- Vancouver-Orlando: 1x weekly, starting November 12, 2022.
- Winnipeg-Phoenix: 2 times per week, starting October 31, 2022.
- St-John’s-Tampa Bay: 1x weekly, starting March 19, 2023.
According to WestJet’s website, the Saskatoon-Orlando route was operated on a very limited basis last year in 2021.
Relaunched Flights To International Winter Sun Destinations
From this November, Canadian travelers on both coasts will have more options for sunny getaways with WestJet.
9 relaunched flight routes to winter sun destinations including the Dominican Republic, Belize, Montego Bay, and Cayo Coco will be available by the end of 2022.
This new schedule means a 45% increase of flights to sun and leisure destinations from Canada for the airline compared to 2021. The main departure cities are Calgary and Toronto, as well as Ottawa, Comox, and Regina.
So, whether you’re thinking of a resort in Cuba or jetting off to Jamaica for a two-week getaway, there’s something for you.
Here’s the list of added flight routes to sun destinations on WestJet:
- Calgary-Belize City: 1x weekly, starting November 18, 2022.
- Calgary-Nassau: 1x weekly, starting November 26, 2022.
- Calgary-Varadero: 1x weekly, starting November 5, 2022.
- Comox-Puerto Vallarta: 1x weekly, starting November 5, 2022.
- Ottawa-Montego Bay: 2 times per week, starting November 12, 2022.
- Regina-Cancun: 3 times per week, starting November 13, 2022.
- Toronto-Cayo Coco: 1x weekly, starting November 5, 2022.
- Toronto-Samana: 1x weekly, starting December 17, 2022.
- Toronto-Montego Bay: 1x weekly, starting December 17, 2022.
WestJet Domestic Routes Ramping Up On The West Coast
On the local front, Westjet announced that it will be adding a new route to its dometic flight schedule early next year. Starting February 17, 2023, the airline will launch 6x weekly flights between Vancouver and Penticton, BC.
The airline will also be resuming its domestic flight route between Edmonton, AB and Nanaimo, BC later this year, from October 30, 2022.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox
This article originally appeared on TravelOffPath.com