Although the world is reopening, Asia has been slow to reopen its borders
And, unfortunately, when Asia has reopened their borders, the COVID-19 restrictions have been challenging (to say the least.) However, Asia is finally reopening its borders—after two painstaking years—with reasonable entry requirements.
Some Asian nations remain closed to the world, such as Taiwan, China, South Korea, Malaysia, and Japan.
But here are four nations U.S. tourists can currently enter:
Thailand, otherwise known as The Land of Smiles, has had frustrating entry requirements throughout the pandemic. It was the first Southeast Asia nation to reopen in 2020 because of its reliance on tourism.
However, the Sandbox schemes—whereby travelers would quarantine on a Thai island for two weeks—were extremely challenging.
Thailand has now reopened its borders with reasonable entry requirements:
- Fully vaccinated travelers can enter Thailand through the Test & Go scheme
- Travelers must have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days
- You must take a PCR test 72 hours before you depart and a PCR test upon arrival
- Thailand has now removed the controversial PCR testing requirement on day 5 for fully vaccinated travelers, and now allows at-home or self rapid antigen tests.
- Recovered travelers can enter Thailand through Test & Go system with proof of recovery
But what about unvaccinated travelers?
- Unvaccinated travelers can enter Thailand under the Alternative Quarantine Scheme
Cambodia has been open for tourism since early 2021; this made it one of the first Asian nations to reopen its borders to travelers.
- Fully vaccinated travelers can enter Cambodia with a lateral flow test upon arrival. However, unfortunately, the Khmer authorities may require you to be quarantined if another person tests positive for COVID-19 on your flight for 5 days.
- Unvaccinated travelers can enter Cambodia with a PCR test on arrival. However, they will have to undergo a 14-day mandatory quarantine upon arrival
Cambodia’s entry requirements are simple, yet the potential quarantine requirement if someone tests positive for Covid-19 on your flight—which is common with Omicron’s transmissibility—is worrying for travelers.
3. Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka officially reopened for tourism in 2021. Today, the nation has some of the most straightforward entry requirements in Asia.
- On February 27, Sri Lanka removed the pre-departure test for all fully vaccinated tourists
- Fully vaccinated travelers can enter Sri Lanka with no tests
- Sri Lanka requires mandatory COVID-19 travel insurance for all travelers
- Unvaccinated travelers can enter Sri Lanka, but they’ll need to show proof of a negative PCR test (72 hours before departure) or a Rapid Antigen Test (48 hours before departure.)
- Unvaccinated travelers must stay in a Tourism Bio Bubble until either you reach 14 days post-vaccination or 7 days after arrival (whichever comes first will apply for not-fully vaccinated travelers).
4. The Philippines
The Philippines was one of the world’s most restricted countries for two years; however, that changed in February when the Philippines reopened for tourism with fairly relaxed entry requirements.
- Travelers—regardless of their vaccination status—will require a PCR test taken no more than 48 hours before departure; they will need to bring evidence of this test result.
- Fully vaccinated travelers won’t need to undergo any quarantine measures
- Children under 18 don’t need proof of vaccination
- Filipino citizens who are fully vaccinated will no longer need to quarantine on arrival
Asian Nations That Are About To Reopen
- Vietnam – Vietnam will lift its travel restrictions on March 15 and reopen to the world after two years of closure.
- Indonesia – Indonesia will drop quarantine for fully vaccinated tourists on the popular island of Bali on March 14.
- Japan – Japan is slowly reopening its borders. Although tourists still can’t enter, the nation is slowly peeling back its travel restrictions in the coming months.
- Malaysia – Malaysia is preparing to reopen its borders to international tourists in March 2022 for the first time in 2 years.
Travel Insurance That Covers Covid-19 For 2022
How To Find The Cheapest Last-Minute Flight Deals
Bahrain Becomes The 6th Country To Remove All Entry Requirements
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the latest reopening news, conversations, and Q&A’s happening daily!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s latest breaking travel news, straight to your inbox
This article originally appeared on TravelOffPath.com
Saturday 5th of March 2022
Thailand has now removed the controversial testing requirement on day 5 for fully vaccinated travelers
you need self test in the 5th day
Saturday 5th of March 2022
did not mention insurance rquirements